Use a magnetic knife strip to organize bathroom drawers
Your bathroom drawers are a mess. They’re packed with items you rarely use, and the important items sink to the bottom and are practically impossible to find when you need them.
Luckily, there’s an easy fix that will only take you a few minutes to install.
What you’ll need
For starters, you need a magnetic knife strip, which is typically installed on a wall in the kitchen, near the stove. These cost anywhere from $10 to upwards of $20 and can be found in most hardware stores.
You will also need either two short latch-and-hook adhesive strips (such as Velcro) or two strips of double-sided mounting tape. It also helps to have a bunch of little metallic objects you would normally store in a bathroom drawer, such as fingernail clippers, tweezers or bobby pins.
Installing the magnetic strip
Chances are, the mounting hardware that came with the magnetic strip won’t work for this task. The screws are probably too long, meaning they may hit the drawer’s slides.
If, like me, you rent an apartment, you can’t just go drilling holes in your bathroom drawers anyway, so adhesive is probably the best solution. On the other hand, if you own a home, you may want to try some shorter screws.
But if you’re skipping the screws, installation is a breeze:
- After cleaning out the drawer, decide which side you want to install your magnetic strip.
- Next, cut two pieces of double-sided mounting tape, approximately 1.5 inches (3.8 centimeters) in length each.
- Remove the protective coating from one side of the adhesive strips and apply to the back of the magnetic strip. Repeat this for the opposite end, as well.
- Peel the protective coating off the backside of both pieces of double-sided tape and center the magnetic strip inside the drawer. Firmly press the strip into place.
- You can now add bobby pins, tweezers and other metallic objects to the strip.
Now when you open your bathroom drawer in search of fingernail clippers or tweezers, you know exactly where they will be every time.
These magnetic strips are designed to hold large kitchen knives, so you can also install these in drawers in your tool box or kitchen for larger items, such as screwdrivers, pliers or multi-tools.